Saturday, August 9, 2008

Talking Point: Mephistopheles is a foreshadowing of the latter Dr. Faustus. (Discuss.)

I saw there a question about Dr.Faustus, my flame.I've still got a lot to talk about it. But how can I post my ideas on the notice board? Anyway I think there's a glimmer of human sympathy for Faustus in Mephisto discernible right at the start that persists throughout the play. (Did you listen to the play on the cassette? If not, you should). While talking to Faustus he has the painful memory of his own downfall for pride and arrogance at the ack of his mind. We can imagine an excited, effusive, vociferous Mephisto before his fall while joining the renegade team and perhaps delivering speeches like Faustus now. These two characters counterpoint each other: excitement and calm, perversity and circumspection, joy and sorrow are played off against each other in their encounters and engagements. Compare the lines where Mephisto's nostalgia about the face of his creator and Faustus's tearful, prayerful supplication for the mercy of God in the end of the play. Now you should be able to see the latter Faustus in the cool and sad Mephisto when the fallen divine teaches the devil manliness and fortitude.

I hope you get my point. You could elaborate on it with critical illustrations from the text.

No comments: